This Week: RI Senate Committee to Vote on Animal Bills, One Would Require Retail Pet Stores To Sell Dogs/Cats Obtained From Animal Shelters
NOTICE OF MEETING DATE: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 TIME: Rise of the Senate PLACE: Room 211 - State House
2018 -- S 2780 Introduced By: Senator Stephen R. Archambault
" Purpose: The purpose of this chapter is:
(1) To protect the owners of dogs and cats from the sale or use of stolen pets;
(2) To ensure that all warm-blooded, vertebrate animals, in the care of facilities licensed or registered under this chapter, are provided humane care and treatment by regulating the transportation, sale, purchase, housing, care, handling, and treatment of these animals by persons or organizations engaged in transporting, selling, handling, housing, and care of these animals;
(3) To ensure that animals confined in pet shops, kennels, animal shelters, auction markets, breeding facilities, and pounds are provided humane care and treatment;
(4) To release for sale, trade, or adoption only those animals that appear to be free of infection, communicable disease, or abnormalities, unless veterinary care subsequent to release is assured; and
(5) To ensure the spaying and neutering of dogs and cats that are adopted from a releasing agency. and;
(6) To ensure pet shops adhere to a humane model in order to decrease the demand for puppies and kittens bred in puppy and kitten mills, increase the demand for animals from shelters and rescues, and protect consumers."
PLEASE BE SURE TO EMAIL THESE SENATE COMMITTEE MEMBERS TO LET THEM KNOW YOU SUPPORT H2780
Senator Stephen R. Archambault
Senator Jeanine Calkin
Senator William J. Conley, Jr.
Senator Cynthia A. Coyne
Senator Dawn Euer Member
Senator Joshua Miller Member
Senator V. Susan Sosnowski
BILL DETAILS: click, HERE.
More information on how to fight puppy mills:
Adopt Don't Shop! HUMANE SOCIETY APPROVED Puppy Friendly Pet Stores in RI: