(posted yesterday to the Warwick Watch Facebook page)
● A $1,494,350.94 Toll Gate --tax abatement error was made-- and the city is conveniently blaming the old Tax Assessor that has retired ( FYI it was this page that also uncovered the back taxes owed to the city by the Mayor's buddy who used to run the "House of Hope" and she got a $238,000 tax break)
● An $85 million school building improvement bond was scrapped, as it should be because more schools need to close before we borrow any $$ to fix half empty school buildings.
●The Warwick Fire Department decided they want more, more, more and are now challenging the Fire 2/Tier 2 pension deal they cut with the Mayor, more about that here: http://www.warwickwatchri.com/…/what-will-ever-be-enough-fo…
This is also being hashed out in the courts, today.
● City Council Finance Meetings are now falling on a separate date from when the regular city council meetings take place. Tonight at 6 PM there is a FINANCE committee meeting and all Warwick Taxpayers are urged to attend and ask questions and learn how your tax dollars are being blown away into the wind. http://www.warwickri.gov/city-council-legislative-department
● The City tried to close down the BUTTONWOODS SENIOR CENTER because they supposedly can't afford to keep it open-- I know, pretty pathetic right? The city even paid friends to have the fire alarms upgraded in the building not too long ago. Amazing, we had the money to borrow and pay for the fire alarm upgrades only to try and shut the building down. How disgraceful is this city leadership? .. it's limitless.
●Total number of motor vehicle accidents that have occurred in the Veterans Memorial Drive/Greenwich Ave Circulator (which includes pulling into the Dunkin Donuts lot to take the accident reports) for the months of November & December 2016 and January of 2017
Nov: 7 accidents
Dec: 8 accidents
Jan: 11 accidents
● $130,000 was approved for "various new tires"
● $516,460 was approved for new police vehicles
● $46,370 new dump truck for the DPW
RemeMber--- THEY WANTED TO CLOSE DOWN A SENIOR CENTER-- OH BUT THERE'S MORE....
ON THE FINANCE DOCKET FOR TONIGHT'S MEETING AT 6PM:
🔴 WHY ARE WARWICK TAXPAYERS HAVING TO PICK UP THE TAB TO PAY FOR MEDICAL EVALUATIONS FOR THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AT A COST OF $120,000 TO THE ATMED TREATMENT CENTER?? WHY AREN'T THESE COSTS BEING COVERED BY THEIR HEALTHCARE PLAN??
🔴 THE WFD IS REQUESTING $860,000 TO PURCHASE "FIRE APPARATUS TRIPLE COMBINATION PUMPERS"
🔴 $55,500 FOR A POLICE AND FIRE DISABILITY ADMINISTRATOR ?? REALLY? WOW.
🔴 WFD is requesting $10,000 to purchase "various appliances to fire stations"
As of 2 weeks ago via a public records request, the Warwick Fire Department has accrued:
▶︎$1,092,421 in banked sick time
▶︎1105 vacation days,
▶︎492 changes of shift w no documentation